Interested in Volunteering?
Volunteering is more than just sharing your time and passion, it's about the satisfaction of knowing you are helping people become stronger, giving back to your community and gaining valuable work experience that will enhance your career opportunities.
At the Y, our cause is strengthening community. We are committed every day to youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. As a non-profit, we can only strengthen community with your help. When you volunteer at the Y, you take an active role in bringing about meaningful, enduring change right in your own neighborhood.
The volunteer opportunities at the YMCA of Southern Maine are vast and varied. Here are a few possibilities:
- Special Events Committee Members - Join the staff in organizing parties, community events and fund raisers (such as our auction, Peaks to Portland Swim, and more). Volunteer Drivers - You can help other members get to the YMCA.
- Child Care / Preschool Volunteers - Stories, play time and more are possibilities in our child care programs.
- Facilities Volunteers - Help make our Y sparkle. You can work with our maintenance crew inside and outside. This includes lawn and gardening.
- Wellness Ambassadors - Assist members on the wellness floor.
- Group Exercise Instructors - Like to keep in shape, and help others along the way? How about leading a class?
- Water Aerobics Instructors - Love the water? What about leading one of our water aerobics classes?
- Clerical and/or Computer Volunteers - Our administrative staff can always use help with filing, mailings and other special projects.
- Prime Time Assistant - Would you enjoy playing with kids as they enjoy the Y's Prime Time program, while their parents take some time for themselves and hit the wellness floor, a group exercise class or the lap pool?
- Life Guard - Sign-up for our life guarding class and then volunteer in an exciting way.
- Water Safety Instructor Aide - Take the WSIA course and volunteer to assist instructors with swimming lessons at the Y.
- Teen & Sports Supervisors - Chaperone a program, or take the initiative and lead one.
- Sports Coach - Enjoy a sport? Pass on what you know to our young athletes at the Y.
- Annual Campaign - Join us in raising money for financial assistance to ensure that no one is turned away for their inability to pay.
- And more!
For more information about volunteering, please contact your local branch: