Volunteer For A Better US
Interested in Volunteering?
Volunteering is more than just sharing your time and passion - it's about the satisfaction of knowing you're helping people become stronger, giving back to your community, and gaining valuable work experience that will enhance your career opportunities.
At the Y, our cause is strengthening community. We are committed every day to youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. As a non-profit, we can only strengthen community with your help. When you volunteer at the Y, you take an active role in bringing about meaningful, enduring change right in your own neighborhood.
Volunteer opportunities at the YMCA of Southern Maine are vast and varied. Possibilities include:
- Special Events Committee Members - Join staff in organizing parties, community events, and fundraisers (such as our Adaptive Services auction, Peaks to Portland Swim to Benefit Kids, and more).
- Drivers - Help other members get to the Y.
- Annual Campaign - Join us in raising money for financial assistance to ensure that no one is turned away for their inability to pay.
- Child Care / Preschool - Stories, play time and more are possibilities in our child care programs.
- Facilities - Help make our Y sparkle. You can work with our maintenance crew inside and outside. This includes lawn care and gardening.
- Wellness Ambassadors - Assist members on the wellness floor.
- Group Exercise Instructors - Like to keep in shape, and help others along the way? How about leading a class?
- Water Aerobics Instructors - Love the water? What about leading one of our water aerobics classes?
- Clerical and/or Computer Aide - Our administrative staff can always use help with filing, mailings and other special projects.
- Prime Time Assistant - Would you enjoy playing with kids as they enjoy the Y's Prime Time program, while their parents take some time for themselves and hit the wellness floor, a group exercise class or the lap pool?
- Lifeguard - Sign up for our lifeguarding class and then get involved in an exciting way!
- Water Safety Instructor Aide - Take the WSIA course and volunteer to assist instructors with swim lessons.
- Teen & Sports Supervisors - Chaperone a program, or take the initiative and lead one.
- Sports Coach - Enjoy a sport? Pass on what you know to our young athletes at the Y.
- And more!
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO APPLY, visit your branch's link below: